The Mueller School was built in 1952 to serve the new housing area on Wichita’s growing northeast side. It was located at 2821 E. 24th street North. It is now the Urban Prep Academy.
In 2012 Mueller was moved to its current location on E. 18th Street. The 18th street location was originally Isely Elementary. Isely opened in 1949. A new building was set up on the same plot of land in 2011.
Mueller School was named for Charles P. Mueller, a Wichita pioneer and former president of the Board of Education. He was born in Williamsville, New York, June 13, 1862, and came to Kansas with his parents in 1867. The family moved back to New York in 1874. That’s when Charles began working in a greenhouse in Buffalo, New York.
He moved to Wichita in 1883, working as a florist, and in 1885, he started his own greenhouse known as Rose and Mueller.
In 1892 he separated from Rose and opened the Charles P. Mueller Floral Company. He was known as “The Fairmount Florist.”
In 1922, the Charles P. Mueller Floral Company was incorporated, and Mueller sold the business to the corporation, retaining the position of president until his death on November 24, 1932.
Mr. Mueller was active in civic organizations, he was a founding member of St. Paul’s Methodist Church, and one of the founders of the Wichita YMCA. He was also an original member of the Wichita Chamber of Commerce. He continued to run his floral company through the years. Mueller was president of the Wichita Board of Education from 1914 to 1926. He oversaw the building of Wichita High School (East).
The company which at one time was the largest floral business in Kansas, was dissolved in December 1952.
Mr. Mueller and his wife Esther are interred at Maple Grove Cemetery.
The school has seen several changes over the years including a major overhaul as part of the bond issue. The project was completed in February 2004. Our dear friend, Mrs. Seivley is a fourth grade teacher at Mueller.
Check out Wichita’s other schools.