Hadley Junior High opened in the fall of 1958.
Present day Hadley sits on land owned by Ernest Clark and Florence Davis. It was the Clark family farm for years.
The school is named in honor of William S. Hadley.
William Spencer Hadley was born on January 18, 1866 in Richland, Iowa.
His mother, Luzena Hadley, died of complications from childbirth on January 27th.
At the age of ten his family moved to Beloit, KS. After graduation he taught school for ten years.
On August 29, 1888, Hadley married Lillian E. Outland, the marriage would create one daughter, Beulah in 1892.
In 1894 he was appointed deputy county treasurer of Mitchell county and served for two years, Hadley also spent time in the office of the register of deeds.
In 1901 he moved to Wichita and organized the Citizens’ State Bank with a capital of $10,000.
Mrs. Hadley was a member of the Twentieth Century Club and the Liberal Arts Club. She also served on the Board of Directors at the Y. W. C. A. and the Advisory Board of Friends University
Mr. Hadley was active in the West Wichita Commercial League, the American Indian Institute and Rotary Club of Wichita. He was the president of the Y.M.C.A. He served as a member of the Board of City Commissioners and was also president of the Board of Trustees at Friends University.
The Hadley home at 1730 University, was donated to Friends University to be used as a residence by the University President.
Hadley died on February 20, 1933 at the age of 67. Lillian died four years later.
Hadley and his wife, Lillian, are interred at the Old Mission Mausoleum.
Check out Wichita’s other schools.