Seltzer Elementary School

11660 E Lincoln St, Wichita, KS

Opening day for the newest version of Seltzer Elementary was scheduled for August 28, 2000, but the new building did not open until September 25th due to construction. But the school’s history goes back… way back.

Seltzer under construction 8/10/2000
Courtesy The Wichita Eagle

The first incarnation of the school was called Brown school, although according to “A History of Wichita Public School Buildings”, no one seems to know where the name came from. That first school was built near 127th and Kellogg around 1874. The school was also used as a church on Sundays. In 1880, the school was relocated near Harry and 143rd Street East.

In 1889 a new school was built, and it was named Seltzer after the springs in the area.

In 1923 Seltzer School was moved to 903 S. 127th Street East. It’s now Cornerstone Church.

In October 1951 a new brick school opened its doors for the first time.  Very little fanfare was given to the new school, generating only a paragraph in the Wichita Beacon.

Former Seltzer Elementary
Courtesy USD 259

Due to the growing neighborhood additions were made in 1956, 1959, 1960, 1964

In 1964 the school became a part of Wichita Public Schools 259. 

At one point Seltzer was one of the largest attendance centers in the city school system.

An even newer Seltzer School popped up at 11660 E. Lincoln. The open house was held on September 28, 2000, with Seltzer Principal, Diane Miles, Superintendent Winston Brooks, Board of Education President Marty Marshall, and city officials cutting the ribbon.

One of Seltzer’s benefactors, Abner Val Jean Jackson, was honored with a school named in his honor.

Check out Wichita’s other public schools: Be True To Your School

%d bloggers like this: