Robinson Middle School opened its doors in 1932. The three-story art deco building was designed by architect Ed Forsblom.
The School Board decided to name the building, Charles Robinson Intermediate School, after the first Governor of the State of Kansas.
Charles Lawrence Robinson was born in Hardwick, Massachusetts on July 21, 1818.
Robinson was a teacher and practiced medicine in Massachusetts before moving to California in 1849. He served as a legislator in the California House of Representatives.
He returned to Massachusetts in 1851 and married Sara Tappen Doolittle Lawrence on October 30, 1851, they had two children.
In 1854, Robinson headed up the first colony in the Kansas Territory. His group was interested in the financial opportunities, and they wanted to make Kansas a free state.
Robinson would become the state’s first governor on February 9, 1861.
During Robinson’s first year in office, he faced impeachment hearings in the House of Representatives. His rival, U.S. Senator James Lane, accused the governor, the Secretary of State and State Auditor of selling Kansas bonds below the rate that had been established by the legislature.
Robinson became the first governor of a U.S. state to be impeached in 1862. He was later found not guilty in a Senate trial and was never removed from office. The other two executive officers were convicted and removed from office.
Robinson would later return to politics when he was elected to the Kansas State Senate, serving from 1873 to 1881. He also served as president of the Kansas Historical Society from 1879 to 1880. Robinson was also Superintendent of the Haskell Institute from 1887 to 1889, and he served as a regent of the University of Kansas for twelve years.
Robinson died on August 17, 1894, Sara passed away at her Oakridge estate on November 15, 1911. They are both buried in Oak Hill Cemetery in Lawrence.
To date, he is the only governor of Kansas to be impeached.
Meanwhile, Robinson Middle School saw a great deal of growth and expansion over the years. Additions and remodeling occurred in 1937, 1948, 1976, and 2004.
In 1996 the school started hosting the middle school international baccalaureate program.
To learn about Wichita’s other schools. Check out: Be true to your school.