Pleasant Valley School, located in Wichita, Kansas, holds a special place in the hearts of many residents. It opened its doors in 1955 as a junior high school for the Sedgwick County School District 128. Back then, it was a symbol of progress and promise for education in the area.
The Wichita Beacon, in a report at the time of the school’s opening, described Pleasant Valley School as a modern facility that “contains 12 classrooms, shops, a home economics room, a music area with soundproof practice rooms, and other auxiliary facilities, including a combined auditorium-gymnasium and dining room.” It was well-equipped to provide students with a comprehensive education that included not only academics but also practical skills and the arts.
In 1962, the school district was annexed by Wichita, and it wasn’t until July 1, 1964, that Pleasant Valley School officially became a part of the Wichita School System. This transition marked a significant moment in the school’s history, aligning it with the larger Wichita educational community.
Throughout the years, Pleasant Valley School continued to evolve and grow. In 1966, recognizing the need for more space, six additional classrooms were added to the building. This expansion allowed the school to accommodate a growing student population while maintaining its commitment to delivering quality education.
In 1973, another notable milestone was achieved when 18 rooms and an auditorium were added to Pleasant Valley School. This auditorium not only provided a space for school assemblies and performances but also became a hub for community gatherings and events. A new wing was added in 2005-06, and a new gym/ tornado shelter was added later.