L’Ouverture opened in 1912. It was located at 13th and Mosley.
The school was named after Toussaint L’Ouverture, a former slave that led the Haitian Revolution.
L’Ouverture was born into slavery on May 20, 1743, in Saint Dominque, he was the eldest son of an African prince who was captured by slave traders.
His godfather taught him to read and write. He spoke French, Creole, and some Latin. L’Ouverture secured his freedom and continued to manage his former owner’s household personnel. He married Suzanne Simon, they had two sons, Isaac, and Saint-Jean.
The “Night of Fire,” a slave revolt, began on August 22, 1791. The slaves set fire to plantation houses and fields and killed many people.
Over the years L’Ouverture would help France gain control of the island. By 1801, L’Overture was ruling Saint Dominque as an independent state. He even created a constitution appointing himself governor for “the rest of his glorious life.”
Napoleon Bonaparte took notice and in 1802, he had L’Ouverture captured. L’Ouverture died of pneumonia on April 7, 1803, while a prisoner at Fort de Joux in France.
Independence for Saint Dominque followed one year later in 1804, one of L’Ouverture ’s generals took charge and changed the island’s name to Haiti.
A new L’Ouverture school building was opened in 1951 at 1539 Ohio.
A program of voluntary integration was started at L’Ouverture in 1970-71.
In 1992, L’Ouverture became L’Ouverture Computer Technology Magnet Elementary School.
Check out Wichita’s other schools.
You must be logged in to post a comment.