Enterprise Elementary School was one of two schools in District 15. Enterprise School District 15 was organized in 1875. The first schoolhouse was located at the corner of Broadway and MacArthur Road. The building was also used as a Church.
According to legend, several men jacked up the structure one Sunday after church in 1880 or 1881 and moved it to 3612 South Seneca. It was a controversial move, and it was done before the opposition could stop it. The courthouse was closed on Sundays.
A new and larger building housed the students until the 1918-19 school year when a two-room modern brick schoolhouse was built. Additions were made in 1926, 1949, 1952, 1954, 1956 and 1958.
In 1961, South Enterprise, located at 2101 West 45th Street South, opened. The original Enterprise School was named North Enterprise.
The Wichita School system annexed the Enterprise district in 1963 and the name was changed back to Enterprise. South Enterprise was renamed Clyde V. Cessna Elementary.
The 2000 bond project brought three new schools into the system: Allen, Linwood, and Enterprise. The new Enterprise was dedicated on October 21, 2003.
The old building was taken down and is part of South High School now.
Check out Wichita’s other public schools: Be True To Your School