Site icon IC in the ICT

Clark Elementary School

Advertisements

Jessie L. Clark Elementary School was opened February 9, 1953, with around 200 children.

Students check out the new sports gear 02/09/1953
Courtesy: The Wichita Beacon

On February 9, 1953, The Wichita Beacon wrote about the new school noting it, “consists of 14 rooms, and a library.” Mrs. Marguerite Crail was the new principal.

The school was named for Miss Jessie L. Clark, a pioneer in the Wichita Public School system. 

Jessie L. Clark
Courtesy: The Wichita Eagle 7/19/1925

Leida Mills wrote Clark’s obituary for the Wichita Eagle on July 19, 1925.  These are some of the highlights.

Clark was born in Troy, NY on November 12, 1863. 

Her father was a newspaper man working for the Troy Times and later as editor-in-chief of the Kingston Freeman in Kingston, NY.

Mr. Clark had famous friends in politics.  “Miss Clark’s treasured possessions are personal letters to her father from Chester A. Arthur and one from Theodore Roosevelt in his own handwriting.”

Clark’s mother died when she was 11 years old.  Mr. Clark sent her to Exeter, NH to live with a family and complete her schooling. 

In 1882, Jessie graduated from Robinson Female Seminary.

After graduation she taught English and composition in the Kingston Academy for several years.

“Then in her own words, she caught ‘The Western fever.’  Her father suggested she write a number of applications to western cities.  One of these came to Wichita in January 1887.  Miss Julia Barwise had resigned to become Mrs. Ben McLean.  The school board offered her a job and she moved to Wichita.  With, “her Weber Square piano, her books, bookshelves, shelves, pictures, dictionary and stand, wicker rocking chair, etc. all gifts from her father which she could not leave behind.”

In 1888, “Superintendent Chidester did not recommend Miss Clark for reappointment.  He said he would commend her for any position from primary to high school – outside of Wichita, but he didn’t like her personality and didn’t want her in the schools.”  The obituary did say they made amends and became excellent friends.

When Wichita’s music supervisor, Professor Young, left, Miss Clark took over his job.  Visiting every school in the city every week.

“The musical history of Wichita cannot be written without the name of Jessie L. Clark looming large as a charter member of the Wichita Musical Club, the Twentieth Century Club, the Wichita Art Association, the Eunice Sterling chapter of the Daughters of the Revolution and a charter member of the National Musical Association.

Clark died on June 28, 1925, at the age of 61.

Leida Mills, who wrote the obit for Jessie Clark, passed away in 1945.  Her ashes were interred next to Miss. Clark at Maple Grove Cemetery.

Interesting side note: Miss Mills’ funeral in 1946 was organized by Miss Rae Woodman.  Who happens to have a school named in her honor.

According to “A History of Wichita Public School Buildings,” in 1976, the school added a media center, a multipurpose room, kitchen, restrooms, and an office. At the time, the existing library was converted into two classrooms. 

In 2004, Clark opened five new classrooms and a student support area.

Exit mobile version